Why Spread Sand on Artificial Grass?
Decorative artificial grass has long blades ranging in height from 25mm to 45mm. Such blades of grass need support in order to stand up straight. In products without a thatch (synthetic moss or rootzone), this is achieved with the help of a layer of sand approx. 2cm deep. The photo is a close-up shot of Next 2 Natural Exclusive. You can see a layer of white sand with on top of it a layer of special brown sand to create the visual effect. There’s a big difference!
Benefits of Sand Fill
- One of the sand’s functions is to weigh down the artificial grass. The extra weight means that the grass stays in place and doesn’t need to be fixed in any other way.
- The sand provides stability and protects the turf. As a result, no wrinkles or folds develop through use.
- The sand also surrounds the long blades of artificial grass and ensures that they remain erect.
- An additional benefit of filling with sand is that it helps make the grass more fire resistant, for example in case the barbecue is knocked over onto the grass.
Your Artificial Grass is More Attractive With Sand Fill
Artificial Grass Without Thatch
Artificial Grass With Thatch
Facts About Sand Fill
- The sand fill is clean and is not a nourishing substrate for weeds.
- The sand fill doesn’t absorb water, so your lawn drains perfectly and dries quickly after a rain shower. It doesn’t turn to mud!
- The sand is heavy. It doesn’t blow out of the grass. You can also simply use a leaf blower to remove leaves from the lawn.
- You won’t have any problem with sand being walked out of the grass. It’s covered by the fibers.
- Children can happily crawl on the grass without being bothered by the sand.
Types of Artificial Grass
In the grass type with moss, you can see how the moss supports the grass fibers. You can also appreciate that every time the fibers are walked on, they’re ‘trodden flat’. A thin layer of sand prevents this to a great extent.
Sand Fill Advice
- Next 2 Natural Exclusive 3.0, Urban and Velvet: ca. 20 kilo per m2
- Next 2 Natural Silk25, Seda, Deluxe, Satin, Silk35, EcoSense, XL: ca. 5-10 kilo per m2.